- BKW has proposed to develop around 70 MW solar PV capacity in the Swiss Alps
- The individual capacity of the 6 projects that will bring this capacity online ranges from 8 MW to 12 MW
- It says 3 of these projects have already been approved by respective municipalities
Switzerland-based energy and infrastructure group BKW has announced a solar offensive to install 6 alpine solar power plants in the country’s Bern canton, with an aggregate installed capacity of around 70 MW.
On completion, all 6 projects will generate close to 100 GWh annually with almost 45 GWh expected during the winter months of October to March. At least 10% of the total expected production will be consumed on site or fed into the grid by 2025-end, which will grow to 100% by 2030-end.
BKW said it does not plan the systems to be as large as possible, instead these will be optimally tailored to electricity generation grid capacity and environment protection.
The proposed projects are as follows:
- 11 MW Adelboden Schwandfäl at Adelboden BE
- 8 MW MontSol at Saint-Imier
- 12 MW Schattenhalb Tschingel Ost at Schattenhalb BE
- 12 MW Schattenhalb Tschingel West at Schattenhalb BE
- 12 MW Grindelwald Gemschberg at Grindelwald BE, and
- 10 MW Grindelwald Oberjoch at Grindelwald BE
BKW claims to have the approval of respective municipalities for the Adelboden Schwandfäl, MontSol and Schattenhalb Tschingel Ost. Currently, the company has 480 MW solar PV capacity installed in its supply area.
Switzerland is seeing an increase in the number of alpine solar power plants proposed as studies show their potential of generating more solar power during winter months above the fog line. These can also make use of existing hydropower station infrastructure for power evacuation thus making these financially viable (see Swiss Experiment Shows High Potential For Alpine Solar).
Recently, another Swiss energy group Axpo announced plans to deploy 45 MW alpine solar PV in the form of 2 projects of 30 MW and 15 MW capacity (see Axpo Continues With Solar Offensive In The Alps).
Source from Taiyang News
Disclaimer: The information set forth above is provided by Taiyang News independently of Alibaba.com. Alibaba.com makes no representation and warranties as to the quality and reliability of the seller and products.