2023 sees the return of great women’s knitwear and jerseys, and the fashion industry must keep up with this development. Knitwear and jerseys that inspire expressive and modular directions are rooted in the virtues of innovation and resourcefulness.
The forecast trend is driven by a resurgent focus on community, warm, uplifting colors, inspiring comfort-led yarns, wholesome and community living, and a celebration of local techniques. Knit and jersey trends for 23/24 are inspired by wholesome living as critical pieces focus on uplifting colors and comfort.
The article will break down the top women’s knit and jersey trends for 2023 and 2024. Let’s begin with an overview of the knitwear and jerseys market.
Overview of the global women’s apparel market
The global women’s apparel market reached US $965.3 billion in 2022. According to a IMARC Group forecast, the market will reach US $1.2 trillion by 2028, growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.5%.
E-commerce platforms are driving growth in the global women’s apparel market. Online retail stores offer convenience, variety, discounts, and easy accessibility, increasing the uptake of women’s apparel. The market is segmented by product type, distribution channel, and season.
4 women’s knitwear and jersey trends for 2023/2024
1. Dopamine minimalism
Dopamine minimalism is a trend that combines minimalistic design with an emphasis on comfort and simplicity. Clean lines, neutral colors, and a focus on sustainability characterize this trend.
Some examples of dopamine minimalism jersey trends for women are:
- Oversized, slouchy shirts, and sweaters: These pieces are comfortable and easy to wear, with a minimalistic design that is perfect for everyday wear.
- Crop tops and tank tops: These tops are comfortable and breathable, with a minimalistic design that is perfect for warm weather.
- Simple, classic jersey dresses: These dresses are designed to be easy to wear and versatile, with a minimalistic design that can be dressed up or down.
- Leggings and joggers: These bottoms are made from soft and stretchy jersey fabric and are designed to be comfortable and casual, perfect for lounging at home.
- Dopamine minimalism also tends to be focused on sustainability, so you may see more designs with natural fibers such as linen and hemp and eco-friendly production methods.
2. Fluid careers
Fluid careers are becoming more common as people look for more flexibility in their work lives. This trend is characterized by a focus on work-life balance and the ability to move between different roles and industries.
In terms of women’s jersey trends, some examples of clothing that could be suitable for fluid careers include:
- Versatile jersey dresses: These are designed to be easy to wear and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion, making them perfect for various settings.
- Comfortable yet chic separates: Tops and bottoms such as wide-legged pants, palazzo pants, culottes, and other relaxed silhouettes that could be dressed up or down depending on the occasion.
- Mix and match separately: Mixing and matching different pieces of clothing can create various looks, making it easy to adapt to different settings and occasions.
- Classic and timeless pieces: Investing in classic, timeless pieces such as a well-tailored blazer or a simple black dress that can be worn for years.
- Sustainable and eco-friendly pieces: Being conscious of the environment and the impact of the fashion industry is becoming a trend that can be incorporated into the fluid career women’s jersey trends.
3. Cushioned softness
Cushioned softness is a trend that emphasizes comfort and softness in clothing. The use of soft, plush fabrics and a focus on a relaxed, casual look characterize this trend.
In terms of women’s jersey trends, some examples of clothing that could be suitable for Cushioned softness include:
- Slouchy tops: These pieces are comfortable and easy to wear, with a simple design that is perfect for everyday wear.
- Cozy loungewear sets: Matching tops and bottoms made from soft, plush fabric, perfect for lounging at home.
- Relaxed fit pants: These pants are designed to be comfortable and easy to wear, with a relaxed fit and a soft, plush fabric.
- Sherpa and fleece-lined clothing: Sherpa and fleece-lined clothing is a great way to add warmth and softness to your look.
4. Grunge romance
Grunge romance is a trend that combines elements of the grunge fashion style popularized in the 1990s with a romantic and feminine aesthetic. This trend is characterized by edgy, distressed, and vintage pieces with lace, ruffles, and other romantic details.
In terms of women’s jersey trends, some examples of clothing that could be suitable for grunge romance include:
- Jersey dresses with a vintage-inspired aesthetic: These dresses are designed to be easy to wear and versatile, with a romantic design that can be dressed up or down.
- Distressed and ripped jersey tops: These tops are designed to be edgy and grunge-inspired, with a mix of distressed and ripped details.
- Jersey leggings and joggers with a romantic touch: These bottoms are made from soft and stretchy jersey fabric and are designed to be comfortable and casual, with a touch of lace, ruffles, or other romantic details.
- Lace or crochet-trimmed tops: These are comfortable and easy to wear, with a romantic design that is perfect for everyday wear.
- Vintage and second-hand jerseys: Incorporating vintage and second-hand jerseys into your wardrobe is a great way to add an element of nostalgia and uniqueness to your look.
Women knitwear and jersey trends in 2023 and 2024 will lean toward modular and expressive directions powered by resourcefulness and innovation, which will dominate women’s apparel.
Creativity around comfort and design will push the trends toward more sustainable innovations in women’s knitwear and jerseys for A/W 23/24.